top of page

Sticking to your health routine while on vacation.


Sticking to your health routine while traveling can be a whirlwind. It's pretty hard to eat healthy when you don’t have access to a kitchen, you are out of your exercise routine, and you just want to be lazy and indulge. For a fact, you have no control over the cooking oils, no control over the portion sizes, and certainly no control over the food that is available. Moreover it goes without saying, the temptations are everywhere.


My recent trip to the Central American country of Guatemala had a descent amount of healthy options to choose from. Guatemalans do a good job at balancing proteins, veggies, and grains. However, just a small sampling of the temptations includes ice cream, pastries, fried street food, and fried churros with chocolate. Oh my.


When ordering a meal always focus on getting a decent amount of protein with vegetables. If you are used to having a green juice or a smoothie at home, go find yourself one. I find when traveling there are plenty of smoothie and juice shop options.


Fresh fruit is typically sold on street corners in foreign countries. The fruit is typically super cheap as well. I bought 2 Hass avocados for 50 cents USD. When I have a long bus ride and am traveling to the next destination I try to snack on nuts, avocados, or fruit. Don’t succumb to the convenience store chips and candy bars that you would typically not eat at home.


Traveling is about enjoyment! Don't forget! While you are enjoying your travels the best rule to follow is the 80/20 rule. Keep up your wellness routine to 80%. For the rest of the time indulge in that 20%. Have that pizza while in Italy, fried churros in Spain, or pupusas in Guatemala.


Happy healthy travels!



26 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

Comments


bottom of page